>From the documentation: "If the query condition does not contain the
row id (and if no other index can be used), then all rows of the table
are scanned."
I guess that is a major important information when you trying to
optimize your SQL, so it should be stated more visible and clearly.
I am used to DB2/Oracle that performs this optimization, so I just
took it for granted :)

H2 performance is really quite excellent, you just have to know to use
the UNION optimization sometimes.

Thomas.