Doing an inner join on TABLE() does, at least, eliminate the 50k row scan,
and the index is clearly being used, now. Scan counts are now under 4.

It wasn't completely straight-forward to do the conversion. The probes
table is indexed on two columns, eid and name. The full query looked
something like

select * from probes ... left join foo ... left join bar ... where eid = ?
and name in (?,?,?....)

Adding the inner join to TABLE() initially made the row scans dramatically
larger, seemingly because the "eid = ?" clause was coming into play later
(though I'm mostly guessing here): from the scan counts, it appeared to be
working with all the probes matching the name list, rather than just those
with matching eid, until the last step.

I tried moving the inner join left and right, without apparent improvement.
What does work is making a sub-query, like

select * from (select * from probes inner join table(...) ... where eid =
?) left join foo ... left join bar ...