I run H2 as a service. A certain database I fill with a bash-script called
from a cron job. The strange thing is that when I insert records when the
database has not been opened the insert takes about .5 seconds. When I open
the database in my browser it takes about .15 seconds. (So more as three
times as fast.) But when I disconnect from the database the inserts still
take about .15 seconds. What could be happening here?

The table is created with:
CREATE  TABLE vmstatDefault (
    date                    DATE DEFAULT CURRENT_DATE() NOT NULL,
    time                    TIME DEFAULT CURRENT_TIME() NOT NULL,
    runLength               INT,
    runable                 INT,
    uninteruptable          INT,
    swap                    INT,
    free                    INT,
    buffers                 INT,
    cache                   INT,
    swapIn                  INT,
    swapOut                 INT,
    blockIn                 INT,
    blockOut                INT,
    interuptsPerSec         INT,
    contextSwitchesPerSec   INT,
    userTime                INT,
    systemTime              INT,
    idleTime                INT,
    waitTime                INT,
    stolenTime              INT,

    PRIMARY KEY     (date, time)
);

And the insert is done with:
        java -cp ${H2_JAR} org.h2.tools.Shell \
             -url "jdbc:h2:tcp://localhost/${DB}" \
             -user ${DB_USER} \
             -password "${DB_PASSWORD}" \
             -sql "
                   INSERT INTO vmstatDefault (
                       runlength,
                       runable, uninteruptable,
                       swap, free, buffers, cache,
                       swapIn, swapOut,
                       blockIn, blockOut,
                       interuptsPerSec, contextSwitchesPerSec,
                       userTime, systemTime, idleTime, waitTime, stolenTime
                   ) VALUES (
                       '${INTERVAL}',
                   );
                  " >>${LOG_FILE}