If the timestamps are unique you could try including a subquery which gets the next lowest date

eg. (not sure if this is valid SQL syntax, I'm not meant to be on the PC :) Select data, datetimefield, (select top 1 datetimefield from table1 where datetimefield < A.datetimefield order by datetimefield desc) as prevdatetime from table1 as A order by datetimefield

then you can use the previous date/time to calc whether to show the date/time for not