This is my initial analysis - I don't know how to solve it yet, but either someone else will, or I will get back to it at a later date.

This problem appears to be specific to the combination of an in-memory database and MVCC=true, which is on by default in version 1.4.x

The problem is occurring somewhere in the stacktrace below.
I suspect it has to do with one of
        MultiVersionIndex.add(Session, Row)
        RegularTable.addRow(Session, Row)
both which are attempting to do an insert/remove combination.
I suspect that one of them is incorrectly restoring state when a unique
constraint violation occurs.

Thread [H2 Console thread] (Suspended (breakpoint at line 103 in BaseIndex))
        owns: Database  (id=103)
        owns: Session  (id=104)
        TreeIndex(BaseIndex).getDuplicateKeyException(String) line: 103
        TreeIndex.add(Session, Row) line: 69
        MultiVersionIndex.add(Session, Row) line: 59
        RegularTable.addRow(Session, Row) line: 120
        RegularTable(Table).updateRows(Prepared, Session, RowList) line: 467
        Update.update() line: 146
        CommandContainer.update() line: 79
        CommandContainer(Command).executeUpdate() line: 254
        JdbcStatement.executeInternal(String) line: 186
        JdbcStatement.execute(String) line: 160
        WebThread(WebApp).getResult(Connection, int, String, boolean, boolean)
line: 1391
        WebThread(WebApp).query(Connection, String, int, int, StringBuilder)
line: 1064
        WebApp$1.next() line: 1026
        WebApp$1.next() line: 1
        WebThread.process() line: 168