Hi,

> when is the 1.4 release scheduled for release (it's still beta, right)?

Yes, 1.4 is still beta. It's too early to tell when it is no longer beta,
but I expect it will be in a few months.

> At least in Apache Karaf the package isn't available by default.

OK, good to know.

> h2 should *require* as few dependencies as possible

Yes, that's true.

> I didn't find any standard logging strategy in the h2 code base

Well, at this level there is none (I don't want to hardcode SLF4J or use
java.utils.logging). Maybe the best option is not to log. But is it
possible to use Class.forName instead, similar to how it's done in
org.h2.value.DataType.GEOMETRY_CLASS_NAME / GEOMETRY_CLASS, with
Class.forName()?

Regards,
Thomas