Hi there,

My bad. With all the third-digit increments, I hadn't even noticed that you
also incremented 1.3 to 1.4 :-)
Is there a documented numbering strategy, somewhere?

Is it a problem that the y doesn't start with 0 or 1?

Well, we've moved from our own "arbitrary" version numbering scheme to
semver (http://semver.org) and to the corresponding suggestions by Sonatype
for Maven:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Versioning

The advantage of doing this is that we no longer have to "think" about a
meaningful version numbering scheme. It's just the same, useful one that
everyone has. E.g. going from 1.3.176 to 1.4.0-beta-1 to 1.4.0-beta-2. This
standard scheme clearly communicates the intent of every release, helping
users choose the right version when upgrading.

In any case, you probably wouldn't reach numbers as high as 176 with this
numbering scheme. As I mentioned in my previous E-Mail, you'd be
incrementing the minor release number much more often.

Regards,
Lukas