Hi folks first post here..bare with me..

I have noticed when we do a delete from blah where date < xxx'' limit y

A temp table is always being generated..regardless if the limit is say 100
or 10000.

Is there anyways around this? (given this delete statement will never be
rolled back?..can rollback be disabled?)

I have found doing a limit 20, appears to execute 'fast' (0.008seconds),
but when we do limit 100 it takes about 3 seconds..which of course blocks
all other access to the table in question..which (for our use case is not
acceptable).

ps. the date column does have an index..

thanks
Dan