Same code using versoin 1.4.179 appears to result in the same stack trace.

Exception in thread "main" org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: A file path that
is implicitly relative to the current working directory is not allowed in
the database URL
"jdbc:h2:/Users/Matthew/git/ma-core-public/Core/target/test/h2/ma;DB_CLOSE_ON_EXIT=FALSE".

Use an absolute path, ~/name, ./name, or the baseDir setting instead.
[90011-179]
    at org.h2.message.DbException.getJdbcSQLException(DbException.java:345)
    at org.h2.message.DbException.get(DbException.java:179)
    at org.h2.message.DbException.get(DbException.java:155)
    at org.h2.engine.ConnectionInfo.getName(ConnectionInfo.java:398)
    at org.h2.engine.Engine.openSession(Engine.java:43)
    at org.h2.engine.Engine.openSession(Engine.java:165)
    at org.h2.engine.Engine.createSessionAndValidate(Engine.java:143)
    at org.h2.engine.Engine.createSession(Engine.java:126)
    at org.h2.engine.Engine.createSession(Engine.java:26)
    at
org.h2.engine.SessionRemote.connectEmbeddedOrServer(SessionRemote.java:335)
    at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:107)
    at org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.<init>(JdbcConnection.java:91)
    at org.h2.Driver.connect(Driver.java:72)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    at Test.main(Test.java:7)