Hi,

> But already for many years  the spatial support was provided by a
combination of geodb + hatbox libraries and integration in GeoTools  world

Yes. However, those don't use the built-in R tree. Do they use an external
R tree?

> All these was done on BLOB type where a geometry WKB is stored.

A small BLOB is stored inline, so it might not be that bad.

>  any access of BLOB value makes a copy of it

Access is making a copy of the reference of a large BLOB.

> Isn't it  2Gb is a limit for binary types?

I reality the problem is the memory usage (heap memory).

Regards,
Thomas