Is it possible to start up and shut down multiple H2
<http://h2database.com/html/main.html> databases within a JVM?

My goal is to support multi-tenancy
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitenancy> by giving each user/account
their own database. Each account has very little data. Data between the
accounts is never accessed together, compared, or grouped; each account is
entirely separate from the others. Each account is only accessed briefly
once a day or a few times a month. So there are few upsides to housing the
data together in a single database, and some serious downsides.

So my idea is that when a user logs in for a particular account, that
account’s database is loaded. When that user logs out, or their web app
session (Vaadin <https://www.vaadin.com/> app) times out, that account’s
database is closed, it's data flushed to storage, and possibly a backup
performed. This opening and closing would be happening for any number of
databases in parallel.

Benefits include minimizing the amount of memory in use at any one time for
caching data and indexes, minimizing locking and other contention, and
allowing for smooth scaling.

I'm new to H2, so I'm not sure if its architecture can support this. I'm
asking for a denial or confirmation of this capability, along with any tips
or caveats.
----

Taken from my Question <http://stackoverflow.com/q/31150193/642706> on
StackOverflow.com.