Thanks!

I tried out your changes, and it's made some improvement. The query I
originally submitted does seem to use the correct index.

However, if you just slightly modify the test query (which I see you made a
unit test for), the same issue comes back up.

Try making another unit test, checking that the below query uses 'tbl_b_idx',
and the test case will fail:

EXPLAIN ANALYZE
SELECT MAX(b.id) as id
FROM tbl_b b