I think you're going to need to run your new query before the main select
and then re-init the main select

Running it on-demand like that is going to lead to it trying to run
somewhere inside the main select and confusing things.

Which means that the top-level select code will probably have to somewhere
do an explicit walk over the tree to run RANK-type queries, but that is
fine, I always assumed that RANK-type stuff would need special handling at
the top level.

​