I did write some code that monitors the database file size. But there seems
to be no clear relationship between insert and delete queries and the size
of the database file. Database file size changes seem to happen very rarely.

Is this because we use hibernate or is it a general behavior of H2? Is the
approach to monitor the file size promising?

Another approach would be to monitor the count of entries in the
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.LOBS and INFORMATION_SCHEMA.LOB_MAP. What do you think?
Does this sound more promising?