How can I select pageStore in 1.4? I haven't found the option in the docs.
If I've written the file with 1.3, perhaps 1.4 will find an engine setting
in the db?

So I understand, is getPage() fetching from disk? Using a profiler,
getPage() is the top hot-spot. I'm not sure why the profiles don't descend
into the methods called by getPage(), as it seems to mostly call other
methods, rather than doing work itself.

Perhaps iostat shows no disk activity because the OS has cached all the
relevant pages, and getPage() is spending its time pulling from the OS
caches. In that case, I might expect the h2 cache size to be important, but
I haven't been able to measure any effect from increasing the cache size,
even when repeating the same sequence of queries.