I have this same question.

Is H2 still a product you can base any level of 'production' on,
considering no stable release for years and still have to build with now
completely obsolete java 1.6 (I removed some lines from the pom and was
able to build with java7 but don't want to use such build till it's marked
stable).

We run still somewhat happily with h2-1.3.176.jar, but after inserting a
few 100000 records a drop of all tables takes literally forever. Only
stopping the server and removing the files then gives a quick solution.
This is probably the main reason we advise our customers not to run
production with H2.

Once I attempted to switched to h2-1.4.187.jar but even the first tests
failed quickly: SQL's we execute on 1.3 version yield different query
results - some bugs in the query engine I guess - and back to 1.3.

Then we decided to wait till a stable release of 1.4 -but it never came.

Currently testing with h2-1.4.193.jar, initial impression is good; but
further testing is needed to confirm.

Main point here is that it's obvious that h2 database is used in many
places and often in 'production' situations where installing one of the big
database players would be overkill (probably slower) or too expensive.

Those users then have to consider that their only choice is to run a
'stable' version with known problems or a beta version that's 'nearly
stable' but still built with completely obsolete java6.

Looking at the great performance we achieve with H2 and the ease of use my
wish for 2017 is deliver a stable 1.4 version built with java8!

Best season wishes,

Leon