As far as I am aware, the problem with the query optimizer is that it does
not use indexs in every situation that one might expect.  But yours seems
to be using the index.  So, I don't know what else it could be (but I am no
expert at H2).

How long does it take to run the query?  How many rows are there, and what
is the general size of the rows (number of columns)?