Dear folks,

Here comes another file size question. I did find related threads but
cannot resolve the issue.

Context: my chess program imports about 100k games with about 80 moves each
from a text file ('pgn' file, so not csv). This takes about 25 minutes and
produces some 8 million records in the MOVE table. Very simple table
structure: MOVE -> GAME <- HEADER. There are 12 indexes on GAME and 3 on
MOVE.

H2 is embedded in the application and started in server mode. The .mv.db
file size grows to over 10GB when importing this text file of just 76MB.
Setting compact on exit does not do much to deflate the file. Re-importing
to rebuild indexes takes around 15 minutes. I think end users are going to
shy away from my app if they are confronted with such waits.

Given the number of records and indexes, is this normal behavior for H2? I
use C3PO in the middle so there is always one or more connection active. I
use a Hibernate binding so the connections are not under my (direct)
control. I know this could be a problem for compacting. Should I dig into
controlling the connections better, or is there some other trick I could
try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
Tom