Hi,

For what I've seen, first issue to address is that password is hashed on
client side before to opening the  and in this scenario has be sent to a
server

In my mind external authentication should be plugged in as an additional
option without creating incompatibilities  (especially in the protocol)

It could be obtained by using connectionInfo properties; a new client side
property AUTHREALM={xxx} trigger:
* on client to store the password in a temporary property (like _PASSWORD)
* on server side it act as a flag for externally authenticated users
At the end of authentication these properties should be removed from
connectionInfo on both sides

Another point is how to model it:
- it would be great to define external users as temporary database users
- rights of external users to object database managed trough roles
- mapping between external users and database roles performed during
authentication

What do you think?

I'm creating a prototype  (project mysinmyc/h2database) to preview the
feature; obviosly i've to perform some tests to make it stable

There is a running server sample org.h2.samples.MockAuthenticator that
accept any user (password=username)