My goal is to persist a list of Question POJOs to the database.
This is the Question class:
@Data
public class Question {
    private Long id;
    private String type;
    private String content;
    private String answer;
}

I'm currently using something like this in my prepared statement:
INSERT INTO Questions VALUES
(?, ?, (SELECT id FROM QuestionTypes WHERE name = ?),
 ? FORMAT JSON, ? FORMAT JSON);

The only issue I'm facing is for the third parameter (the inner query for a
QuestionType). In case the target type doesn't exist, the operation fails.
What I want is: to insert a corresponding row for new QuestionType, and
then use its id. Here's how I roughly want it to look:
INSERT INTO Questions VALUES
(?, ?, (SELECT id FROM QuestionTypes WHERE name = ?), // or 'INSERT INTO
QuestionTypes' if absent and use the generated id
 ? FORMAT JSON, ? FORMAT JSON);

Is anything like that possible with simple commands? Would you like to
suggest another approach?