Hi Mike,

When dealing with a fractional representation of a number having numerator and denominator, the system would have to find the greatest common factor (of numerator and denominator) to represent a number uniquely (when comparing).
For addition you would have to make the denominators equal.
So having this kind of type would require a bit more computing than a decimal number where the denominator is fixed to be 10.

The only upside would be the ability to represent 1/3 (and similar numbers that can only be represented as repeating decimals)  exactly but if you now have 64 bit integer to represent a decimal then you would need a lot of precision before noticing any practical difference. Furthermore you could have even more precision using larger integers than long (eg. java's BigInteger).

Of course in mathematics you might have uses for fractional representation.
In which problem area do you have a need for absolute precision?

And finally we would still be unable to represent the irrational numbers exactly.
What kind of representation would work for all real numbers?
Just curious.

- Rami