Greetings.

My understanding is, there is no "auto compact" while the database is
running.
Instead it will be compacted only during shutdown and only  within the
defined shutdown time period (longer will give more time to compact).

And yes, H2 database consumes a lot of file space, especially when data
are constantly written and deleted. I made exactly the same
observation.

Best regards
Andreas