Hi Silvio,
SQL dump / restore is the only supported way to transition from one version
to the other.
We are making our best trying to preserve compatibility with older db
files, but again, it's on a "best effort" basis.
Forward compatibility is totaly out of question.
And that's I've been talking about released versions. Jumping onto
unreleased version is totally "leap of faith", should be no expectations
about switching back, or compatibility with future released version. SQL
dump/restore should work most of the time though.