hi ,

Posting this as a new conversation.  one of my colleagues posted this
recently:

Fredrik Sjögren
Aug 2, 2023, 4:07:04 PM (20 hours ago)



to H2 Database
When we have upgraded the h2 library we get following error trying to open
the existing databases:

*Unsupported database file version or invalid file header in file
"/path/to/database.h2.mv.db" [90048-220] 90048/90048*

We use a file based database ("jdbc:h2:file:...")

Creating new databases works well.

Has something changed so the files are not compatible?
Any way to get around this in an easy way? The upgrade from version 1 was a
hassle for us earlier and we really wish not to do that again.
Is there any way to get more information about why it gets this error?

I am a Product Manager with 3 commercial products using H2 and needing to
upgrade.  1 upgraded to 2.1 and we had to go through a migration process to
make this seamless to our customers (mostly heavily regulated companies).
This upgrade went ok and no major issues but we invested a lot of
engineering time to make sure that worked well for all upgrading customers.

It now looks like upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2 will require the same effort.
Is that the case? Are you planning to make updates backward compatible or
will every upgrade require scripting to migrate data - this is not a
feasible solution for me and ask that you make upgrades backward compatible
to avoid your customers (and mine) having to customise migration every
version upgrade of H2.

Look forward to your response.