I've not looked at the Wordpress code for generating URLs in a very long
time, but I don't know how they could possibly automatically know to
generate SSL URLs for every request in the setup you have - the requests
are *not* coming in as SSL as far as the web server hosting the code is
concerned.

I've set up an identical infrastructure before, but I use Nginx rather than
Apache, so I can't be much help on the specifics for your implementation.
That said, you took the time to set up an SSL concentrator in front of
presumably a cluster of individual web servers, so you're definitely a
non-standard user. I'm sorry I couldn't provide you the exact line to
include in your config, but it does strike me as odd that you'd go through
all that effort and then not be willing to spend 10 minutes testing to find
the right line to add to your config.

Sorry we didn't live up to your expectations, we'll try to do better in the
future.