re
here i was tripping upon the ntpd quality and got
this idea to add message return to the sendmsg(2)
system call. similar to the receive timestamps
but the different -- xmit timestamps.
basically there is race still in xmitting ntp packets
between fetching the time and calling sendto(2)
where we could be rescheduled and have a substantial
error as a result.

as far as i see there is nothing that prevents control messages
from being returned back (space provided) from sendmsg(2).
this sounds also backwards compatible since existing callers
do not provide any control message space.
any thoughts?
cu
--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)