On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:37:26 +0200
Hiltjo Posthuma <hil...@codemadness.org> wrote:

Dear Hiltjo,

> I don't like this.
>
> I'd rather have it so the Makefile respects the system or package
> system CFLAGS and LDFLAGS by default.  Then someone can do: make
> CFLAGS="-Os" LDFLAGS="-s" etc.
>
> LDFLAGS="-s" is practically the same as calling strip and stripping
> it.
>
> It is up to the distro package/ports maintainer to strip symbols (or
> not). This can be an additional packaging step.

I would've suggested the same.

> As a off-topic side-note I think we removing config.mk and just
> having the Makefile is simpler too.

As a counterpoint, the config.mk makes it very clear which environment
variables are used in the Makefile. Some packagers like to apply
patches directly to the config.mk (which is an anti-pattern, but done
regardless).

Given the config.mk is usually more stable than the Makefile itself and
a clear indication of what you can tinker with, I'd keep it. It's much
more intuitive to look into config.mk when something doesn't work than
getting the idea to directly look into the Makefile.

With best regards

Laslo