> Hi Quentin,

Hey Cris,

> In general the existing code seems confused, no?

A code isn't confused, the reader might be though.
Is there something you are not actually understanding here?

> Either we shouldn't pass them in as const in the first place,
> or we should maintain the constness that we
> declare in the function parameters.

The constness is “maintained” here, the function gets a "const FcChar8 *"

> There shouldn't be any logical change here, but it seems weird to say things
> are not mutable up front and then waver about it later. Right now there's no
> UB, but making sure we don't cast away the const mitigates the risk
> altogether.

There is no risk here.

What could be problematic is the opposite,
passing an immutable variable to a function expecting a mutable variable,
but this isn't the case here.

I think that the cast here is actually unnecessary, isn't it?