Thanks everyone.

I've done a first cut at the parser. I've made the following assumptions:

1. The input is a sequence of XML elements
2. There is no "recursion" of elements
3. Fixed depth of 1

My design is fairly simple - it simply reads records 1 by 1 and puts them into Strings (almost identical to TextInputFormat & LineRecordReader).

I decided to skip the whole FileSplit issue for now. The user basically needs to specify what the element name that denotes a record. I've got a couple of questions for the community:

1. Do we see a lot of performance benefits by using FileSplit for text files ?
2. What StAX parser do people consider the fastest ?
3. Does it make sense to "assume" that for an xml file, the first "sequence" is the sequence of records ? If so, I'm thinking about putting in a convenience function that will "detect" what the element name is for records.

I'm going to do some performance testing as well. To the yahoo guys - Is there a point of contact that I can get my changes integrated into the trunk ?

Thanks,
Alan Ho