Hi,

On Sunday 08 June 2003 14:55, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 02:22:36PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:
> > Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > >The three possibilities are:
> > >
> > >- Wireless (in)security and war driving
>
> Wireless networks (in)security. Obviously, it's much harder to secure
> a wireless network - you don't need physical access to join it. War
> driving refers to the process of driving around, searching for and
> finding open wireless network.

+ tools, do's and don'ts, ugly stories from the field (like how best buy
transmitted credit card details of customers on the open waves) and live
demos.

> > >- Setting up a SPAM filtering system (MUA independent)
>
> How to set up a spam filtering system. Since it's MUA independent, I
> assume it's server based?

Yes. This is based on a setup we did in my office, and works without any
change to your current mail software and/or mail server.
Nothing extremely new, just good news (this setup is currently blocking over
300 SPAM messages a day in my mailbox alone. What did I do before that?!)

> > >- Full disclosure (non technical)
>
> The most interesting of the bunch, IMHO. Let's say you discover a
> serious security vulnerability in, for example, the Linux kernel. Whom
> should you tell, and what should you say? should you say "there is a
> bug, beware", say "there's a bug, here's how to exploit it and here's
> how to fix it", or just not say anything? If you tell everyone how to
> exploit it, it will get fixed, but many people will get cracked. If
> you don't tell anyone, people will not get cracked, but neither will
> the bug get fixed.
>
> The term "full disclosure" refers to telling everything, publicly. The
> lecture should be called, I suppose, "full disclose - pros and cons,
> and how much?"

Or "Full disclosure - we believe in it" (taken from the full disclosure
mailing list). Note this is a non-technical lecture, though I can through in
some interesting stories we've encountered during 5 years of vulnerability
research.

> There have been various hitted debates on this subject on the bugtraq
> mailing list and elsewhere. Let me know if you want pointers
> (fascinating subject, really).
>
> > I'm afraid I can't figure out what to expect from either of these
> > lectures. Could you please say a few words about each of them? Or if we
> > want to be really wild about it: Let us see the slides?

I believe it's bad luck to show the slides before a lecture :-)

Seriously - I don't have any of these ready: they're bits and pieces from
lectures I had given in the past in other occasions and some new things I'll
prepare for the occasion.

> Aviram, anything I got wrong, please fix :-)

I couldn't explain it better myself.

--
- Aviram