EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Ha'makor wants to run a "bug bounty" project, where
people pay money that accumulates to fund fixing bugs in free software. A
suggested mechanism is detailed, followed a call for volunteers for the role
of project manager, and a reference to the dedicated mailing list for this
project.

Hi,
  I think Ha'makor should start a project of "bug bounties". The main idea
is that people put money to fix the bugs that most annoy them, and when the
bug is fixed, all the accumulated money is given to the person or people who
fixed it.

1. SUGGESTED BUG BOUNTY MECHANISM

  The mechanism I suggest for this bounty system, is that a person buys
"bug tokens" for some amount that expire after, say, a year. They can then
divide this money between bugs as they see fit, setting an expiration time
for each bug. For example, I would pay 50 NIS for fixing bug 12345 until
1/1/2005, but I will pay an additional 50 NIS if it is fixed before
1/9/2004, and also I will pay 100 NIS for fixing but 23456 until 1/4/2005.
If the date has passed the person can re-use the token for the same or other
bugs, up until the expiration time of the token, when all funds come into
the hands of Ha'makor.
  Instead of (or in conjunction with) expiring tokens, we can also put a,
say, 10% levy on all tokens bought that comes into Ha'makor's pockets.
  The actual tokens could be sold by cheque, using payment slips, given free
to members (say, a free 10 NIS 1-year token per year for members), and sold
for cash in events such as APIII (you sell a piece of paper with a code for
the site).
  A person who wants to see the bug can see the current total payoff per
deadline on the website. For example, bug 12345 can have a bounty of 1200
NIS until 1/9/2004, 750 NIS until 1/1/2005 and 100 NIS until 1/5/2005.
  When a bug is fixed, a neutral body (Ha'makor board for example) decides
if the bug is really fixed, who deserves the payoff, and if and how it
should be divided. I suggest we limit payoffs to Israelis, as shipping money
overseas may be problematic. This means that if a non-Israeli solves the
bug, the money goes to Ha'makor.

  Any comments/suggestions on the above mechanism are welcome. Please send
to the bounty mailing list: bounty AT projects.hamakor.org.il

2. WHAT DO WE NEED

  To make this dream come true we need someone to devote time and effort to
manage and coordinate this project, a programmer or programmers to write the
code behind the site, and someone to operate the project. All three could be
the same person.

Q: What are the tasks of the manager?
A: The manager will need to
     a) Coordinate legal consultaion from our lawyer (Haim Ravia), including
        drafting the terms and conditions of the system,
     b) Verify accounting procedure for incoming and outgoing payments from
        our accountant.
     c) Find programmers to code the site and/or do it by him/herself.
     d) Make sure everything works well.

Q: Who can be a manager?
A: Anybody who thinks he or she can and has time to spend on running this
   project. Preferrably a member or friend of Ha'makor, and with some
   technical background. Should be enthusiastic about the idea, but
   otherwise why apply ;)?

Q: How do I become a manager?
A: E-mail the board of Ha'makor at board AT hamakor.org.il with your name,
   expertise, and amount of free time ;)...

  To make things clear, we are looking for volunteers, and we do not intend
to pay any money to the manager(s) and maintainer(s) of this project.

3. MORE INFORMATION

  If you wish to further discuss the bounty project, please subscribe to the
bounty project mailing list at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you,
  Alon

--
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ICQ:1366540
GPG public key at http://alon.wox.org/pubkey.txt