Eli Billauer wrote:

Hello all,

Some of you have surely heard about Google's desktop searcher (http://desktop.google.com/). It's a downloadable application, which scans your own computer, and sets up your own little Google site. So you search your own computer like you search Google.

It's really a cutie. It's the end of where-did-I-put-that-file (in most cases).

The security-aware guys among us will most probably not like it: The application opens a web port (4664) and behaves like a Google site from there. It looks like it answers only to requests from 127.0.0.1, but the paranoids in this gang will surely find the problems. I suppose that the very existence of an organized database is the main problem, not to mention a comfortable interface to access it (spyware etc).

Anyhow, the application is Windows-only. But since it merely consists of a crawler and a server, and actually no GUI of its own -- Wine guys, isn't this your favourite breakfast?

   Eli

why not just use "locate" and "updatedb" commands ?