Shachar Raindel wrote:

Note that if you have already implemented the "give away the CPU while
no input, until input arrives", adding the delay bit becomes
relatively simple (storing the jiffies value when writing the first
byte in the buffer, comparing it to now, if smaller than minimum,
going into timed sleep).
Actually it's easier. There's wait_event_interruptible_timeout(). So it boils down to telling the interrupt routine the minimum number of bytes accumulated for a wakeup, and then wake up on enough data or timeout.
I join the request about the "do tell". I would be especially
interested in hearing results of benchmark such as "run nice'd CPU
intensive task in parallel to the hardware interacting task, check
change in time-to-complete the CPU intensive task".
I'll be back when I start doing the stress testing. It will take me a while to get there, though...

  Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il