It's quite possible that line numbering would have to be disabled for
optimization. I'm not sure to what degree optimization would be enabled by
default. It could easily be confusing for people looking at the generated
CSS when doing the initial design if too much optimization is taking place
then, which would suggest only enabling it by default when generating
:compressed CSS. On the other hand, for optimizations that aren't 100%
guaranteed to have no effect (such as duplicate property removal), this
could cause the behavior to change in :compressed mode.