We encountered a problem recently with our deployments. Some of our
Sass css files were not being updated. We think this is because our
deployment copied the Sass files before the CSS files hence giving the
CSS file a newer timestamp than the Sass file and thus not updating
the CSS files when calling update_stylesheets. So we set this:
Sass::Plugin.options = {:always_update => true}

Now during our deployments our CSS files always get updated, which is
great; however, this seems to have a side effect when the application
is running. We intermittently get this error:
    No such file or directory - [top secret path info]/public/
stylesheets/print.css...

  [RAILS_ROOT]/vendor/gems/haml-2.2.2/lib/sass/plugin.rb:79:in
`delete'

After looking at the Sass code i can see that you basically call the
update_stylesheets method whenever calling
ActionController::Base.process

It seems to me that this may cause a race condition where multiple
requests try to update the stylesheets at the same time an thus
causing the file/directory not found error.

Now assuming that all of this is accurate, I am wondering if there is
any way that we can have our stylesheets always update during a
deployment, but use the default update functionality while our app is
running.