As far as I can tell from the spec, rgba only accepts decimals between 0 and
1 inclusive.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#rgba-color

<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#rgba-color>So that's the reason. We could
choose to deviate from the spec, but that always comes with a certain cost
of possible forward incompatibility and user learning/training.

chris