Well, after poking around some more, I tried running "haml --rails
<rails root>" which basically replaced the plugin with a link to the
gem, and everything started working. But that led to me figuring out
that this application was written for Rails 2 and Rails 3 is running
on the server, so I'll need to look into that more. If anyone has any
input into what was going on here though, let me know.

Thanks!