Noel,

I checked the rails version in my Gemfile.

It was wrong!

I did this to get moving in the right direction:

gem install rails -v 3.0.3

gem uninstall rails -v  3.0.0.beta3

gem install haml

rails new myapp

vi myapp/Gemfile

Right now I have these two gems installed and they seem to play well
together:

haml (3.0.24)
rails (3.0.3)

Your tip was very helpful, thanks!