We've considered this sort of feature, but we have yet to see a convincing
use case where variables weren't approximately as useful. If you can present
one, we'll reconsider.

It's worth noting that this presents problems in cases such as the
following:

  .content {width: 10px}
  .content {width: 15px}
  .sidebar.foo {width: 20px}
  .sidebar.bar {width: 30px}

  .container {width: .content.width + .sidebar.width}

Or this:

  .content {border: 1px solid black; padding: &.border-width}

Or this:

  .content {
    -moz-some-property-sass-doesnt-know-about: 1px solid black;
    padding: &.-moz-some-property-sass-doesnt-know-about-width;
  }

We'd have to come up with a clear and consistent resolution to all of these.