I kind of choked on my beer when I read about people legitimately using
comments to close blocks. I considered a deprecation warning when a comment
was found that closed a block and had no accompanying markup / real code to
close the block at the same level so people could be scolded for such a
weird practice.

Could you point me to some examples where people are using this feature
legitimately? I'm really curious about it.