The :javascript filter is really only useful for writing inline javascript very
quickly, but not much else in my experience. Certainly not very helpful for
Backbone templates, since the type attribute needs to be something other than
text/javascript, and you need to stick an ID onto the emitted script tag.

Instead, what I have done is just emit the tag and use Haml to structure the
Backbone templates, business-as-usual.

%script#template-name{ :type => "text/template" }
 %ol.comments
<% _.each(comments, function(c) { %>
 %li <%= c.title %>
<% }); %>

Just make sure not to nest the LI tag within your _.each method. As far as Haml
is concerned, it should be on the same level of indentation. If it's not, Haml
will throw indentation errors.

Just FYI, this is not the way Haml is intended to be used, and it's a bit rough
to use it this way. That said, I still prefer Haml over HTML for Backbone
templates.
--
Lorin Tackett
Browser Wrangler