On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:10:01 +0000
"Paul Stimpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello Paul,

> IIUC the problem may come when you try to move. You should provide the
> certificates to the new owner. You may have trouble if the surveyor
> sees work and you can't account for it.

Whilst that's true, the operative word is "if".  It's unlikely that
they're going to dig up floorboards, excavate walls, etc. to view
electrical installations.  In any case, you could quite easily lose such
certificates between now and whenever you sell.  There could be any
number of reasons.  Not least of which is the one where people are
handed the cert, and immediately bin it, not knowing what it's for or
why it should be kept.

As a landlord, I'm now obliged to have an energy inspection performed on
any property I rent out.  It costs about £95, and says I could improve
the energy efficiency of the building by having cavity wall insulation,
plus various other things over which I have no control(0). The report
reads;

Cavity wall insulation - none (assumed).

(0) Mention is made of light bulbs.  Those are fitted by the tenant.  If
they chose to use tungsten filament lamps, there's nothing I can do to
stop them.

IOW, they couldn't be arsed to check, either by inspection or asking
me.  The whole process of producing the report (has to be conducted
every ten years) generates more pollution and CO2 (paper used, energy
consumed driving to/from property you name it) issues than it will ever
save at this particular location.

The short version of all this inspection malarky is that, frankly, "it's
bollox".

--
 Regards  _

Go away, come back, go away, come back