On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 23:23:38 +0000 (+0000), Alan Pope wrote:
> For some time now on 64-bit platforms the recommendation has been "at
> least 20G of swap" no matter how much RAM you have. If you have ever
> studied the SAP memory management system you can see why. The general
> argument goes that 20G of swap is considerably cheaper than having
> your multi-million pound business down for half a day whilst an admin
> (or expensive external consultant) debugs a memory issue.

Paging in 20GB of swap means your system performance is already going
to be pants.  Or dead.  I'm all for nor falling over since you are a
_little_ tight on memory, but really if you manage to undercut it by
20GB you are in serious trouble anyway :-)

My issue was that (as I understood it), SAP would _not support_ it
unless we had such a ridiculous amount of swap setup.

Adrian
--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -*-  GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution   -*-  www.debian.org