> On Mon, January 26, 2009 15:48, Brian Chivers wrote:
>> Has anyone tried streaming video across there network ?
>
> Yep, I do it all the time, however...
>
>> What I'd like to be able to do is stream TV
>> shows that I've recorded in avi / xvid format to Windows workstations
>> connected to projectors so
>> staff can view fullscreen what they've requested to be recorded.
>
> ...I use MediaTomb to stream audio and video to my PS3. Streams
> full HD video just fine, but may not do what you want.
>
> On the server side, you just point it at a directory full
> of videos. It has a basic web interface for configuration.
>
> On the client side, you'd need something that supports UPNP
> media servers. The PS3 just picks it up automatically, not
> sure if media players on Windows will do the same, or whether
> you can feed them an URL to it.

A really simple solution, which would depend on network bandwidth but
would be easy to setup, would be to consider just a simple shared
directory.

I run freevo on my linux machine at home which records shows onto the
harddisk. This is shared out via samba and if I want to watch a program I
just browse to the share and play it back using mplayer installed on
windows.

It would be a very "low tech" solution, it isn't really streaming but
works quite well :) no idea if it would work well enough to scale up to
lots of people steaming videos, that would depend on your network
bandwidth and the servers ability to keep up.