On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Alan Pope wrote:

> 2009/3/11 Tim <xendis...@inbox.com>:
>> For the record the disk did not show up on the PC, no lights, no spin up
>> nothing, attached another sata hard disk to the PC and the PC saw the disk
>> and
>> was happy to use it.
>>

> What make/model of disk is it?

It's not a Seagate drive is it?

We've had all kinds of grief in the office with 500GB-1TB Seagate drives
recently...

  2 out of 10 500GB drives failed in less than 6 months.

  5 out of 7 750GB drives failed in under a month!

  1 out of 1 1TB drives failed within a week.

To be fair they have all been replaced under warranty, but we are no
longer buying Seagate drives, at least until they resolve their firmware
problems, see:

  http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/01/21/seagates_second_fault_fix/

   To determine whether your product is affected, please visit the Seagate
   Support web site at
    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/news.jsp?DocId=207931
   It assures users that data is still on the drive and is working with
   customers affected with any unrecoverable data 'to expedite a remedy.'

  Andy