On Monday 30 March 2009 17:35:22 Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 05:30:13PM +0100, Tim wrote:
> > I thought I had this one beat, that was until i had to reboot my PC
> > today (moved it and knocked the power lead). When it rebooted I
> > noticed that the NAS was not mounted (it should mount from a line in
> > the fstab file), when I tried to do it manually it told me that only
> > root can mount the share, I did try it as root and it will mount ok.
> >
> > Well when I set it up I set it up with "uid" and "gid"and "guest"
> > (see below)
> >
> > //192.168.1.250/openshare /media/openshare cifs
> > guest,uid=1000,gid=100,rw,auto 0 0
> >
> > (the uid is mine, the gid is the users group)
> >
> > Now I have tried using the "cred=" (see below) option and pointing
> > it to a file that holds my username and password but it still refuse
> > to mount and will only mount as root
> >
> > //192.168.1.250/openshare /media/openshare cifs
> > cred=/home/mit/cifs.txt,rw,auto 0 0
> >
> > Can somebody point me towards the answer why only root can mount it,
> > I think the answer is staring me in the face but I can't see it??
>
>    You need the "user" option in the options section as well. This
> gives permission (purely on the local machine) for a non-root user to
> mount the filesystem. Otherwise, only root is allowed to mount/unmount
> filesystems, even if they're listed in /etc/fstab.
>
>    Hugo.

Thanks Hugo, unfortunately that did not work.

After much head banging I think I have it worked out. I was trying to
mount //192.168.1.250/openshare which I think was the problem as this is the
folder that is preconfigured on the nas , instead I tried
mounting //192.168.1.250/openshare/pictures which I can mount as a user and I
can set the permissions on.

Thanks for the help

Tim