On Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 21:21:26 +0100, Brian Chivers wrote:

> I'm starting to look at virtualisation but I know very little about it.
> I've read a bit about Xen & KVM and have had several companies visit
> College drumming on about VMWare (very expensive but nice features) & M$
> HyperV(quite cheap for education). I would really like to stay open
> source but I need to read more about this as it'll be for "business
> critical" systems so stability, flexibility and easy management will be
> very important.

  The management is where most of the open solutions fall down.

  Your choices are probably going to be:

    uml         - obsolete
    xen         - heavyweight.  waning support.
    qemu/kvm    - fast.  regular updates.
    vmware      - closed source. good reputation
    openbox     - ?

  UML is only useful for hosting Linux guests on a Linux host, and
 while it has performance problems it is very stable and simple to get
 started with.

  Xen is an oddity - at one point it looked like it was going to take
 the world by storm.  Since it failed to get integrated into the
 mainline kernel it has suffered a lot, and to be honest these days I'd
 ignore it as a stagnant irrelevancy.

  KVM builds upon the stunningly featureful Qemu software, and adds a
 kernel-based driver which boosts performance.  It is very easy to get
 started with, and has the bonus that if you're running a recent kernel
 you probably have over half the software you need already present.

  VMWare have made a lot of their lower-end software available for
 free, but it isn't open source.  If you only one one-ten guests then it
 works very well, but if you want to use it heavily you're going to miss
 the nice admin tools they have - as they're still commercial.

  Openbox I've never used, so I cannot comment.  But people do say nice
 things about it.

  In short if you don't care about the closed nature then VMWare has
 always had a nice reputation, and if you want to be open-source
 friendly then I'd strongly recommend KVM. (Or openbox; can't recommend
 it as I've never tried it.)

  In all cases though your biggest problem will be the admin side, tools
 to create, manage, control, and copy the guests are lacking in the open
 world.

  Right now, for example, my KVM guests are running inside GNU Screen
 which is functional but hardly very attractive.  Still for most of the
 basic tools kvm, qemu, lguest and uml the basic process is very
 similar:

    1.  Create a volume "dd if=/dev/zero of=path/to/disk.img bs=1024
count=8192k"

    2.  Launch the software pointing at the virtual disk
             kvm -hda /var/kvm/etch64.security.build.img  ...

    3.  Setup appropriate networking support.

  Each of these operations is very well documented, so you probably
 don't need a book.  Just pick one of the packages and read the
 documentation.  (VMWare/OpenBox are more GUI applications so you might
 try those first if you're hazy on the command line stuff.)

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/