> Hi all
>
> I'd probably settle for a system that transfers from PVR to DVD by copying
> a file rather than making a DVD recording of a PVR broadcast so to speak
> but is there a simpler way?   I don't have a nice enough looking case so
> I've not tried a media centre PC, MythUbuntu or some such solution.

While I cannot suggest a good way of getting data out of an off-the-shelf
PVR, I would like to vouch for a media centre PC. I have a simple one
running Freevo with a USB Freeview stick. All programs are simple dumps of
the over-the-air mpeg stream, these are either watched or moved onto my
NAS for future reference (usually only films, but lately "In The Night
Garden" for my son).

Freevo is quite easy to set up and was a huge step up from my old PVR. The
ability to connect in to the web interface to schedule recordings is great
(from the laptop) and connecting in a remote is also pretty easy.

Given the Acer Revo recently announced (assuming you are happy with nvidia
drivers) which can play back HD content and will be in the UK supposedly
for only £180

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/13/acer-aspire-revo-now-up-for-pre-order-in-uk-with-may-18th-releas/

Would be quite a cheap way to get a nice small system, just add a USB
tuner stick, sling on your favourite Linux media centre and then easily
archive your TV onto a NAS.

The only thing is you will need an LCD TV as it only has digital outputs.