On Mon, May 18 at 10:38, Ian Park wrote:
> I recently decided to upgrade my main desktop machine from a 2-disk
> RAID0 array (2 x 320GB) to a 4-disk RAID5 array (4 x 320GB). I already
> have / on a separate 150GB drive, so there are no concerns about trying
> to boot from the RAID setup. So far, I've taken the cheap route and run
> all the drives from the SATA ports on the motherboard (a Tyan Thunder,
> with 2 x 2GHz Opteron dual core processors and a total of 8GB RAM).

Been running a 4 drive software RAID5 at work for a couple of years now
on a 2.4GHz Intel Core2 processor.  The software overhead hasn't been
noticeable so I guess you'd have no problems either.  SATA x4 straight
off the motherboard.

New workstation builds we've gone back to using RAID1 simply because
disk capacity has got so stupidly high a pair of disks is all you need.

--
        Bob Dunlop