We finally decided to take the plunge and between us bought a PVR and went
for a Topfield, I am upgrading the EPG using the TAP, Topfield application
system, using a window box as a quick fix for now. The EPG is hard to read
and there are some much better and less cumbersome EPG's available for free.

The cool thing about Topfield is the TAP and PC interface and a community of
code contributors, some releases are free some are not.

I see that there are some options out there to use Linux, perhaps with a
secondary ethernet converter or even build a headless low power Mini ITX box
permanently attached to the PVR and network instead. Potentially I could log
in to the connected Linux box from anywhere and schedule uploads and
downloads of past TV broadcasts and items broadcast online as well as use the
music file capabilities.

If someone here uses Linux to regularly access, maintain and transfer files
to and from a Topfield PVR I would be interested to hear how?

Thanks, Damian
--
WWW http://www.diaser.org.uk - working together to make long term digital
archives more accessible